Tuesday, January 4, 2011

First Day of IELTS Prep Course


As ya'll know.... I have taken IELTS exam twice already. And i got a band score of 6.5 for both times. And then i went on to take OETS exam but i didn't score for one module, which was reading module. I was told by Queenie that if i didn't score for that one module, i can just re-take that module. So i did pay to re-take for it. And then a few weeks later, the OETS team e-mailed me, telling me to re-check the Australian Nursing Board website cos they changed their criteria for OETS exam. Turns out they raised the standard. Now, i am NOT allowed to re-take just that ONE module. Like IELTS, i have to pass ALL modules in one sitting. Great. Just great. So i withdrew my application but thankfully, they refunded 50% of my money back, which is fair i guess.


A couple of my colleagues suggested i take the IELTS(academic) preparation course. I was dwelling and dragging on it. Cos it IS expensive, mind you. It costs $1000+. So i finally made up my mind and decided to go for it. I borrowed that $1000+ from my mom and paid for it.


The classes are held every Mondays and Wednesdays at 7.30pm-9.30pm, over the span of three months, from January until March. So yesterday, it was the FIRST day of my class. I was morning shift. As soon as i returned home from work, i took a nap for about an hour. Then woke up and get ready for class. I was like ten minutes early. When i stepped into the class, there were already some students sitting in there. As the class drew nearer,i realised nobody wanna sit beside me lol. Am i THAT intimidating? Lmao. BUT when the class started, the teacher had us paired up. So this burmese woman had to sit beside me and become my partner in the class. So like any other first days elsewhere in any organisations, we have to introduce ourselves and get to know each other better. There were 3 Singaporeans in the class including me, 1 from Myanmar, 1 from China, 1 from Vietnam, 1 from Korea and 1 from France. Note to self: "To befriend the french lady as she's going to study to become a fashion designer and is going to work under Louis Vuitton". Ok nuff said. Honestly, i think that the British teacher is TOO serious and he gives VERY LITTLE jokes(i expected more!), which gives me the impression that what he is trying to project to us is, "let's get down to business". The first day of the class itself hits me REAL hard on the head, sorta like the teacher pulled my head and banged it to the wall. This is absolutely NOT easy at all. No joke. I have to study and work on my IETLS not double-y or triple-y hard. I NEED to push myself to study EXTRA hardcore for it. In the class, we touched mostly on speaking. And managed to cover some writing as well. I didn't expect him to give us homeworks, but he did. DAMMIT! (>.<) Then he gave us the lowdown on the structure of each and every single part of the speaking and writing test, what the examiners are assessing, what they are expecting, looking out for and how they grade us. EXTREMELY useful details. I'd say.... This course is gonna be worth it. By the end of the class, i felt like my brain was wrung out dry. Then i realised how fucking exhausting, working and studying at the same time is. As soon as i got home, i refused to shower, went straight to my room, collapsed onto my bed and fell into a deep-DEEP-meaningful-satisfying-delicious sleep. Needless to say, i drooled while asleep.(and it does NOT happen frequently, not unless i'm REALLY tired.)




1 comment:

  1. Oh well....someone is finally kick ass sure of what she is doing. I hope that KICK ASS serious attitude stays for good!
    You paid $1000 aight, so they have to make sure you earn it right! Of course there will be heaps of hardwork AND homework. I really hope this prep course will get you somewhere!

    ReplyDelete